Age Friendly Island invite you to have your say in helping us to find sustainable solutions to issues affecting island residents.
You have the opportunity to attend an Age Friendly Island Public Forum in a variety of locations across the Island aimed at the over 50’s, friends, carers and interested parties where practical issues relating to the project are developed and Islanders have the opportunity to really shape important changes happening on the island such as health and social care, transport and outdoor spaces.
Age Friendly Island Public Forums are a place to share information, discuss ideas and help us to find sustainable solutions to issues affecting older Island residents. All are welcome to come and have your say.
On the agenda for this next round of forums is:
- Update from last round of forums: Celebrating Age Festival 2018/2019
- Cross Solent Travel Consultation
- Formal Review of the Age Friendly Island Forums
- Wight Widows and Widowers: Project idea to be explored
Upcoming forum dates
Thursday 7th February in Freshwater and Cowes
- 10am to 12pm at West Wight Sport Centre, Moa Place, Freshwater, PO40 9XH
- 2pm to 4pm at Cowes Community Club, Park Road, Cowes, PO31 7NP
Tuesday 12th February in Newport
- 10.30am to 12.30pm at Age UKIW, 147 High Street, Newport, PO30 1TY
- 4.30pm to 6.30pm at Age UKIW, 147 High Street, Newport, PO30 1TY
Thursday 14th February in Sandown and Ryde
- 10.30am to 12.30pm Sandown Library, 119 High Street, Sandown, PO36 8AF
- 2pm to 4pm at All Saints Church, Queen’s Road, Ryde, PO33 3AF
West Wight – Bus 7, School Green Road stop. Paid car park on site.
Cowes – Bus 1, stop at recreation ground, Park Road. Free car park on site.
Newport – 10 mins from Newport bus station. Paid on street parking outside.
Sandown – Bus 2, 3 & 8, Victoria Road stop. Parking in Station Avenue.
Ryde – Bus stop outside church on Queens Road. Free parking on site.
Light refreshments will be provided and transport can be arranged for those with mobility issues. For transport requests please contact: Age UK Isle of Wight on (01983) 525282 and ask for Helen or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer as a Facilitator or Administrator
You can also be involved by joining the Age Friendly Island team as a valued Facilitator for the Public Forums.
The role of a Facilitator:
• To attend the Public Forum meetings and help direct discussions on relevant topics among small groups.
• As part of the Age Friendly Island Team, you will be responsible for meeting and greeting those attending.
As an AFI Facilitator, you will work in a small team of volunteers who have been provided with training to direct and encourage discussion at local meetings. The idea is to support older adults in taking an active role in their communities. As a valued member of the AFI team, your views and practical input are crucial in shaping the projects future direction.
You will also have the opportunity to be involved in the analysis and reporting back of feedback should you wish. As volunteers, you are welcome to take advantage of supported learning and practice of new skills that will benefit yourself, the project and the people we aim to help.
The role of Administrator:
You can join our team by working with us in the office, offering support to the AFI team in various administration tasks and attending Public forum meetings to support minute taking and basic organisation.