Age Friendly Island invite you to have your say in helping us to find sustainable solutions to issues affecting island residents.
You have the opportunity to attend an Age Friendly Island Public Forum in a variety of locations across the Island aimed at the over 50’s, friends, carers and interested parties where practical issues relating to the project are developed and Islanders have the opportunity to really shape important changes happening on the island such as health and social care, transport and outdoor spaces.
Age Friendly Island Public Forums are a place to share information, discuss ideas and help us to find sustainable solutions to issues affecting older Island residents. All are welcome to come and have your say.
This next round of forums will be discussing:
The upcoming Celebrating Age Festival and how local people can get involved with the Age Friendly Island programme.
Upcoming forum dates
- Tuesday 4th Sept – Riverside Centre, Newport from 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Tuesday 4th Sept – Riverside Centre, Newport from 4.30pm to 6.30pm
- Thursday 6th Sept – Sandown Library from 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Thursday 6th Sept – All Saints Church, Ryde from 2.00pm to 4.00pm
- Thursday 20th Sept – Cowes Community Club from 2.00pm to 4.00pm
- Thursday 20th September – West Wight Sports Centre from 10am to 12pm
- Sandown – Bus 2, 3 & 8 Victoria Road stop, parking Station Avenue
- Ryde – Bus stop outside church on Queens Road, free parking
- West Wight – Bus 7, School Green Road stop, paid car park on site
- Cowes – Bus stop at recreation ground, Park Road, Free car park
Light refreshments will be provided and transport can be arranged for those with mobility issues. For transport requests please contact: Age UK Isle of Wight on (01983) 525282 and ask for Helen or email: email@example.com.
Volunteer as a Facilitator or Administrator
You can also be involved by joining the Age Friendly Island team as a valued Facilitator for the Public Forums.
The role of a Facilitator:
• To attend the Public Forum meetings and help direct discussions on relevant topics among small groups.
• As part of the Age Friendly Island Team, you will be responsible for meeting and greeting those attending.
As an AFI Facilitator, you will work in a small team of volunteers who have been provided with training to direct and encourage discussion at local meetings. The idea is to support older adults in taking an active role in their communities. As a valued member of the AFI team, your views and practical input are crucial in shaping the projects future direction.
You will also have the opportunity to be involved in the analysis and reporting back of feedback should you wish. As volunteers, you are welcome to take advantage of supported learning and practice of new skills that will benefit yourself, the project and the people we aim to help.
The role of Administrator:
You can join our team by working with us in the office, offering support to the AFI team in various administration tasks and attending Public forum meetings to support minute taking and basic organisation.