Islanders are being invited to recognise the achievements of local older people and celebrate their contribution to Island life, and nominate them for the first ever Celebrating Age Awards, hosted by Age UK Isle of Wight (Age UKIW).
If you know an individual, or a group, who have dedicated time and effort to making the Isle of Wight a better place to live, helped out in their community, or who has defied age as a barrier to overcome a physical challenge, or who have worked with younger people to create, accomplish or campaign.
Tell us how someone you know deserves recognition for their efforts by nominating them for a Celebrating Age Awards in one of the following categories:
Age Friendly Entrepreneur – Sponsored by Wright Estate Agency
- Someone who regardless of age is making a big contribution to Island business.
Age Friendly Contribution to the Community – Sponsored by Sainsbury’s
- An older person who is selflessly making a difference to other peoples lives.
- Who values and works towards safe and neighbourly communities
Age Friendly Arm in Arm – Sponsored by Co-operative Food
- A group of people, young and old who worked together across generations.
- Someone who contributes towards bridging the gap between young and older people.
Age Friendly Impact – Sponsored by Westridge Garage
- Someone who really has devoted his/hers/ life to changing lives of others.
- Who has generally impacted the island in a positive way over the years.
Age Friendly Volunteer – Sponsored by W Hurst and Son
- Someone who devoted his/her time to volunteer helping others.
Age Friendly Team – Sponsored by Southern Vectis
- A group of older people who worked together to achieve something outstanding.
Age Friendly Challenge of the Year – Sponsored by WightFibre
- Someone who overcame a serious challenge and showed courage and determination to inspire others.
Nominations are now closed. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to nominate some amazing people for these awards. We will announce all of the winners and share photos in a full report next week.