Papa Owl and Rocket the Dog’s Big Flying Adventure is the first of a series of children’s books for 5-7 year olds, which help to promote among other things, creativity, imagination, emotional resilience, relationships and the concept of working across generations. This working across generations makes this book and it’s many uses very Age Friendly.
The book has been designed to be an exploration and adventure that has multiple uses:
- English Language – For example: use of metaphors (wise like an owl), use of exclamation marks and use of speech in stories.
- Science and invention
- Aviation and flying
- Relationships between generations and amongst families
- Emotions and being caring and kind
- Recycling and making things
- Nature and animals
- Art – using the illustrations
- Drama and making a Papa Owl puppet show.
Papa Owl was officially launched on Sunday the 16th October at the Isle of Wight Literary Festival. Papa Owl’s shed was on full display with young inventors actively making rockets and other creations. Julia Lilley read “Papa Owl and Rocket the Dog’s Big Flying Adventure” to an audience of families, whilst Michael and Helen held a book signing after the launch. Lucky purchasers of the book also received rocket kits designed by Andy Stiles.
There is a free Papa Owl fun day at Quay Arts on Saturday 29 October 11am – 3pm for children aged 4 – 9 years and their families, which includes story telling, puppet shows, making rockets and more. For further information about this, the book and Papa Owl Publishing take a look at the website: http://www.papaowl.co.uk/